Friday, April 23, 2010
Bravo’s latest stroke on the reality canvas brings Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Sarah Jessica Parker and her production company, Pretty Matches, together with the Emmy-nominated Magical Elves ("Top Chef," "Project Runway") and Eli Holzman, to produce "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist,” an hour long creative competition series among contemporary artists. "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist” will bring together fourteen aspiring artists to compete for a solo show at a nationally recognized museum and a generous cash prize.
Hosting this colorful new series is art enthusiast China Chow. She will serve on the judging panel alongside art luminaries Bill Powers, a New York Gallery owner and literary art contributor, Jerry Saltz, current art critic for New York Magazine, and Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn, esteemed curator and owner of Salon94 gallery. World-renowned art auctioneer Simon de Pury adds his voice of experience as a mentor to the contestants.
In each episode, contestants are faced with the challenge of creating unique pieces in a variety of mediums such as painting, sculpture, photography, collage and industrial design. The weekly assignments are exciting, original and will challenge the artists' to push the limits of their technical skills and creative boundaries. Completed works of art will be appraised by our panel of top art world figures alongside a new celebrated guest judge every week. Through a gallery showing at the end of each challenge, these industry select dictate which artists have successfully mastered the subject matter and creation of their piece, as well as whose concept leaves the greatest impact.
"Work of Art: The Next Great Artist," is produced by Pretty Matches and Magical Elves for Bravo. Dan Cutforth, Jane Lipsitz, Sarah Jessica Parker, Alison Benson and Eli Holzman serve as executive producers.
Following are the 14 Artists competing on the series:
* Abdi - 23, Hometown: Baltimore, Md.
* Amanda - 35, Hometown: Chicago, Ill.
* Erik - 31, Hometown: Homer Glen, Ill.
* Jaclyn - 26, Hometown: Miami, Fla.
* Jaime Lynn - 25, Hometown: Lawton, Okla.
* John - 40, Hometown: Dekalb Ill.
* Judith - 62, Hometown: Albany, N.Y.
* Mark - 32, Hometown: Santa Maria, Calif.
* Miles - 23, Hometown: Minneapolis, Minn.
* Nao - 46, Hometown: San Joaquin, Calif.
* Nicole - 25, Hometown: New York, N.Y.
* Ryan - 27, Hometown: Libertyville, Ill.
* Trong - 38, Hometown: Saigon, Vietnam
* Peregrine - 33, Hometown: San Francisco, Calif.
Work of Art will air Wednesdays on Bravo (10-11 p.m. ET) and will premiere on June 9th at 11 p.m. ET, after the finale of Top Chef Masters.